Saturday, February 21, 2009

Miles and Pie in 2009

Troy and I have both been trying to be healthier by exercising more. Neither of us likes going to the gym and we always prefer getting out into nature for hikes, but that's not usually an option during the week. I found a Nordic Track on craigslist for $25 a while back and it has been working wonderfully for quick workouts during the week.

The NT fits into Troy's larger plan of going 2009 miles this year. Partially for health and partially for the environment, he's resolved to travel by bike and foot more (especially for things like short trips to the grocery store). This averages to about 6 miles a day, so in especially busy times he's decided that the NT can count too.

I've been really impressed and proud of how he's stuck to this plan. He's keeping track of it all in a spreadsheet and has pretty much kept up even in times of extreme busyness.

Another interesting, and I would argue counteractive, resolution Troy has for the year is to make a pie a week. He hasn't kept up with this as well as the exercise plan (which is probably for the better) but we've had a number of incredibly delicious pies: blueberry, raspberry chiffon (twice), and French silk.

Last night for a potluck he made a mango pie with a crunchy, crystallized ginger topping and an unbelievable, flaky crust. He was very pleased to find the perfect pie crust recipe after a number of attempts. It's from Cook's Illustrated and has a surprise ingredient--vodka. I wish I had taken a picture because it was quite beautiful, with a lattice top.

If you've got great pie recipes, please share them. We'd love to try something new.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Oh, yum. Mango pie sounds amazing!