Monday, April 6, 2009

West Virginia Wimmin's Weekend

Our friend Catherine's mother owns a lovely B&B--in Davis, WV called the Bright Morning Inn. To celebrate her birthday this year, Catherine invited 6 girlfriends to stay there for a weekend. I was one of the lucky girls.

It's a long drive to Davis--about 3 1/2 hours on very windy, mountainous roads in the rain--but it was well worth it. Catherine's mom had wonderful food and hospitality waiting for us.

The Inn is a quaint and comfy place, with an impressive breakfast menu. I was really excited to try ramps for the first time in an omelet and with some fried potatoes too. Yum!

The Inn is situated in the gorgeous Canaan Valley. We ventured out for a long hike on Saturday in the Dolly Sods wilderness area which is unusual and beautiful in its abundance of pine trees. Interestingly, its vegetation resembles that of Canada more than that of the rest of W. VA. It was COLD and windy but we bundled up and had a blast.



We also went to Blackwater Falls State Park to see the gorge and the waterfall. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera when we were at the waterfall but there are some great pics online. It was pretty spectacular, really rushing with all the recent rain and melting snow.


Before heading back on Sunday, we stopped at a nearby wind farm to get a closer look at the windmills. It was pretty spectacular to see them up close.


One of the coolest parts of the trip was getting to meet a lot of new and interesting women. Catherine has assembled a pretty diverse group of great girlfriends and it was fun to meet and spend time with them. This was a good reminder for me of the importance of making time for my female friends and family members. I am very thankful for the connections that I have with the women in my life. These bonds are really significant--they truly help to nourish my soul.

1 comment:

WoodenBlogger said...

Never in my life have I seen such comely lasses. Astounding!