Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Trying to Work it

It's hard to believe that I've been unemployed now for over 2 months. I've had long periods like this before when we moved to Eugene and when we moved to Virginia. It took forever to find a job each time. Somehow now things seem a little more urgent though. Time is flying and we want to be able to take advantage of our geographic location by traveling to some of the great European cities.

I have been keeping myself very busy, updating my resume, trying to teach myself more about web design, bidding on jobs on elance.com, and following up on a few leads we have gotten from people in Belgium. Hopefully something works out soon.

In the meantime, I've been trying to save money and calm my nerves by cooking. My chocolate "chip" cookies (had to make them with a real Belgian chocolate bar b/c I couldn't find chips) were a huge hit at the dinner party we attended on Sunday. Nobody had eaten cookies like that before and I already got a request for the recipe.

I just made a pot of carrot/ginger soup that turned out really great despite not having a blender or food processor anymore. I used a potato masher to mush it up and realized I kind of prefer chunky to smooth soup. The soup paired perfectly with the aged Gouda we picked up in Amsterdam and some whole-grain bread I bought today. It was a delicious combination, and just what I needed--some fantastically comforting food!

No comments: