Thursday, February 18, 2010

Extension

I'm happy to report that Troy applied for and received a 1-month extension on his Fulbright grant. That means the end of our lease in Ghent will be July 31. It will be great to be here for part of the summer and especially for the Gentse Feesten, a 2-week event featuring all kinds of music, theater, food and drink. It's the largest open-air festival in Europe, bringing in 1.5 million people each year. We hated to think we would miss such a party!

It's hard to believe that we've been here now for five months, and that our time is half over. We are finally starting to meet some people and feel more settled. We met a nice American couple through a Facebook expat group who we seem to have a lot in common with. And we've been going out for drinks with a fun Romanian couple. I guess right about the time we have to leave we'll be feeling like this is home. So goes the life of an academic and trailing partner I guess. Hopefully all this change and moving around will make me a more resilient and flexible person in the long run. It certainly has been an adventure!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Congrats!! I'm going to be in Manchester June 2-4, and think I may swing through Ghent afterwards? I'm hoping Jeff may be able to join me, potentially in conjunction with his trip to Munich. As soon as we know more about his plans, I'll let you know!

Lissa said...

It would be great if it works out to see you both over here--keep us posted!

alli said...

An extension sounds good to me! Glad to know you guys are settling in and having adventures.