This week I traveled to Charleston, West Virginia to meet some folks I've been working with/for in person. It was a bit exhausting since I had a 6:30 AM flight out of Duluth (which is an hour's drive from here) but it was nice to have a little getaway.
The people at this small marketing firm were very friendly and welcoming, I even got a hug from the director. West Virginians, like Minnesotans, tend to be friendly people. I had a really busy couple of days but they treated and fed me well and put me up at the Marriott. And I've got lots of work from them for the foreseeable future, which is a little overwhelming, but also great.
As an added bonus, I got to meet up with my friend Catherine (who I met in Charlottesville) for dinner. We had a terrific time catching up. She took me to a fun place called Tricky Fish that serves deep-fried veggie dogs. She's a vegetarian and says she dreams about these greasy dogs and tries to stop in to get one every time she makes it to Charleston. I had the mahi mahi tacos, which I think were equally delicious.
The whole business travel culture is interesting to me. I'm not sure I'd want to have a job where I was expected to regularly travel like this. Airports make me nervous and turbulence gives me a queasy stomach. When the guy sitting next to me on the plane asked why I was traveling, it felt strange to say "for business." The experience made this Minnesota Kid feel quite grown up.
No comments:
Post a Comment