Summers always go by way too fast. It's hard for me not to get jealous of all of our grad student friends (and Troy) since they are (technically) off during the summer and I'm working. But still, summers are usually packed with fun things to do like camping and parties. I get used to having Troy around more during the summer so it's always a little depressing when the craziness starts up again.
In Virginia, it's been especially hard to adjust to the seasonal differences. It really stays hot through much of September, which makes me feel like we get cheated out of some of the summer since school has already started. I especially feel that way this year because I'm taking my first official U.Va. class. It's hard to focus (and get homework done) when I want to hang out and drink beer on the porch! I need to work on this so I'm not scrambling to get my reading done before class as I did this week.
The class is focused around learning how edit literary writing and also how to layout a magazine or small publication. I've been pretty nervous about it as I'm the only non-student in the class as well as (I think) the only non-creative writing MFA person. Kind of intimidating. But I get to create my own little publication and pick a fiction book to review. I've enlisted the help of my pal (and experienced creative writer) Catherine. Having her advice makes me feel a little less neurotic and self-conscious.
As for Troy, I'm about to tell him it's time to call it quits for the night since I need to get some shut-eye. He's hard at work on the new drum-bot and it sounds as if he's made some progress in the last hour. If it was up to him, he'd be up all night working on his creations. Someday when we own a home, I think he'll have to build a soundproof room.
No comments:
Post a Comment