
At the dinner and reception following the wedding we really had a good time. There were something like 220 guests so it was really big and a good majority of those people were our family since our grandma Maki had 10 kids.
We grew up pretty close to our cousins, as they all lived in the area when we were young (and most still do). Let me just say right now, the Maki family likes to party. I have such great memories about dancing all night long with my cousins at family weddings.
At some point, I think I've heard it was at my cousin Rob's wedding back in the day, a crazy dancing tradition was started at the weddings. When the song "Wipe out" plays, you can see all of the family (even though they have that reserved and even shy Finnish blood in them) run to the dance floor. Each time the drum solo comes on, people drop to their backs and kick their legs up in the air. I think the dance is called the Turtle? Anyway, it's hilarious to see the reactions of the other unsuspecting other family at weddings. We know things are going to be okay if they join in the fun.

We danced until nearly 2 a.m. and then our cousins Lee, Jon and Rusty hosted us in their room for an after-party. Troy and I didn't get back to our room until 4 a.m. and my dad had stayed almost that long too! It was great catching up with the cousins and with friends I haven't seen in a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment