Friday, December 19, 2008

Joulutortu!

Well we've been scrambling to get ready for our drive to MN for Christmas. We will be leaving this morning and I'm still up packing. It's been a crazy week tying up loose ends at work, trying to visit with friends and baking x-mas treats.

I tried another ethnic treat this year--Finnish Christmas tarts. They were lots of work but very tasty. Thankfully Troy likes to roll out dough because I found that part very annoying.



We brought some of the treats over to Peter and Jaimee's last night. I wanted to get a chance to see them and Ian before we left. Ian is hilarious. You can tell he has foodie parents because he already enjoys eating (and talking about) pistachios and pomegranates. He also showed us his new play sushi set. It has little wooden pieces of sushi, roe and ginger and a play knife. He handed me a piece and when I asked what it was he said "tuna roll." I love that a nearly 2 year old knows more about sushi than I do!

What a smart little boy, he loves being read to and reading to others (including their cat Sally).


Well, back to packing. Nothing like waiting til the last minute! Luckily there will be plenty of time to nap on the 21-hour drive. :(

We'll be back on the 29th so probably no blog posts until after that. Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday season!

4 comments:

Mary said...

The tarts look amazing!

Jaimee said...

what a FABULOUS blog post! am i biased? of course! we loved having you guys come over and just finished off the rest of your delicious treats! ian loved the tarts and the potica. here's our update- we postponed our trip for 24 hours to avoid an inevitable airport nightmare!!! have a safe trip. merry christmas!

alli said...

Have a safe drive. Looks like here is hellish weather everywhere.

Lissa said...

Thanks Mary! How did your baked x-mas treats turn out? Where are you spending the holidays? I guess I will check your blog to find out!

Jaimee, glad to hear that you all liked the treats. Sorry to hear about your travel delays. Hope you are enjoying yourselves in Florida.

Thanks Alli, we thankfully avoided going into the ditch despite some pretty snowy weather. We also had subzero temps for much of the trip. Yikes. Nice to be back in C-Ville where it's supposed to be in the fifties today! Hope you are enjoying yourself in Montana!