Thursday, May 29, 2008

More Strawberry Treats

Last night we went over to Catherine and Joe's for a brief visit and strawberry pie and ice cream tasting. They got an ice cream maker and used their pickins to make strawberry ice cream. It was really yummy!

All I could do after hulling and washing 10 lbs of strawberries was make a really simple strawberry pie with a prepared graham cracker crust. It was soooo easy and yet still so good. Here's the recipe in case anyone needs a quick and tasty way to use up 2 pints of strawberries. It's on the state of Michigan site and specifies that you use "Michigan strawberries" which I found kind of funny. Virginia strawberries worked just fine.

Troy took a picture of me with the pie before transport, which was a good idea because as I got into the car it slipped out of my hands and almost landed in the back seat! Thankfully I was quick enough to realize what was happening and caught it before it opened up and splattered everywhere. But it really wasn't such a pretty pie anymore. Troy says the catch is proof that I should be playing on the softball team but I'm not so sure--it was me who fumbled it in the first place.

3 comments:

Shana said...

Thursday nights at PVCC! We're always on the lookout for a gal with quick reflexes who bakes pies for friends.

Jaimee said...

Yummy! I think I'm going to have to try this one, even if I use store bought strawberries instead of fresh picked.

Lissa said...

Ha! I knew this would get a comment from Shana! ;) Sorry, I have too much anxiety about sports competition. That's why I quit tennis in high school.

Jaimee, there have been some lovely strawberries at the farmers market lately too. And they are probably cheaper in the long run since you don't have to drive to crozet
and pick them yourself!