Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Radishes Anyone?

Sorry in advance to my family and friends up north where it has been a long, long winter. I don't mean to rub this in your face. I have been anxious to take pictures of our garden and finally made it out today to do that. My midwestern peeps will recognize the plant on the bottom here. I am craving a strawberry-rhubarb pie lately! On the top right is lavender that is starting to bloom. It's right near some chamomile--those plants are located right by our front door and smell so lovely!

My friend Alli and I took an organic gardening class this year and I've been excited to put into practice some of the things we learned. Apparently I did a good job with the radishes.


Gardening in Eugene was really easy but here we have all kinds of pests to contend with. Something is even eating the radishes! "What kind of dumb@$$ animal eats radishes?!" said Troy. I agree. Radishes are not my favorite. Although they provide a nice, peppery crunch on a salad, I'm not sure what I will do with this many. I only planted them b/c I got free seeds from a friend and they do a good job of breaking up the soil. Here's one of the casualties. I wonder what is eating it? Those evil squirrels that attacked our tomato plants last year?


I also took some pics of the garden bed. So far we have some nice looking garlic, peas, and a few beets too. I planted some basil, tomatoes and peppers but they aren't liking all the rain and cool weather we have been getting. Hopefully they will survive.

No comments: