Monday, October 13, 2008

Surprising Seeds

A year or maybe two ago I got a handful of seeds from my friend Bekah. I swear she told me they were black-eyed Susans, which I love. Here's what I thought they would turn into.


Boy was I in for a surprise! I planted the seeds and they grew pretty quickly into voracious vines that twisted and turned and latched on to everything nearby. Thankfully, some of them happened to be planted next to our railing so that they had something to climb. Pretty soon they developed buds and then beautiful, purple flowers. They continue to grow and produce what look like purple peas and they are attracting all kinds of butterflies and even hummingbirds. Every so often though, I'm having to clear the vines from in front of the door because they keep threatening to take over. I guess they are some sort of ornamental pea but I'm still not sure if they are edible.

The positive thing is that everyone seems to like them. Our neighbor asked if she could have some of the pods for the seeds. I gave some seeds back to Bekah yesterday because she really liked them too, but she had been just as surprised as me at what her original seeds produced. In any case, I have plenty more seeds if anyone is interested.



No comments: